Monday, December 2, 2013

Stella the observer

Stella, I still maintain you will be a scientist of some sort given how observant you are.  Here's another example.  I've put up the Christmas decorations which meant moving a couple picture frames from the tower of drawers we keep our movies in to the shelves with the media components.  They've been there 2-3 days now.  I was making dinner today, turned around, and saw you holding one of those frames.  I said, "Stella, put that back."  You walked over to the tower of drawers and put it back on that.  Well, you were correct that it had been there.  I'm pretty confident Emma would not have noticed that at 18 months.

You are more hesitant when it comes to trying foods than your sister was.  Tonight we had vegetable noodle soup (homemade might I add!).  I put some of it in a bowl for you without the broth.  I put some pieces on your tray.  You ate the noodles then moved everything onto the table off your tray.  When I tried to put it in your mouth with a spoon, you shook your head no, said "no no no no," and waved your hands in front of yourself so I couldn't get a spoon in without you knocking it off the spoon.  I got some applesauce and would put a piece of the soup on the spoon, put some apple sauce on it, then you'd eat it.  Once you realized it didn't taste that bad, then you ate some of it without apple sauce.  You did the same with turkey leftovers yesterday -- you needed my cranberry sauce on it to eat it.  On Thanksgiving though you mowed down a lot of turkey and wouldn't eat anything else.  You're very much your father's kid when it comes to eating left overs.

You are also your father's kid when it comes to looking for things.  We got home from school today and you wanted a snack.  I put you in your chair (booster seat with a tray strapped to a chair) and gave you some graham crackers broken up.  Emma then went into the fridge to get something and you saw your milk cup in the bottom of the fridge door (observer again!).  You said, "mi, mi, mi" while reaching for the fridge.  I gave you your milk cup and returned to making dinner.  In about 15 minutes you were crying again for your milk.  You had put it between you and the chair down your side.  I reached for it, handed it to you, you took it and smiled and said, "Heh, heh," as if you couldn't find it right next to you!  I still think you can be a scientist since you look for the details but miss some big ideas at times!

No comments: