Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Story time at the Children's Gardens


It's been really hot lately so we've been trying to go and do things in the morning before it gets too bad. Yesterday we went to the zoo with Tammy.  Even walking around for an hour, we were all sweating.  Dad has Friday off and we had thought to go to the Detroit Zoo.  We might opt for indoors at Impression 5 instead.  

It's been a challenging summer so far with the girls.  Stella, you're pushing your boundaries.  In spite of all the toys to play with, you prefers to be in the kitchen cabinets, pantry, or mudroom just pulling things out.  When anyone removes you from such places, you sits on the ground and cries.  Emma, you are also pushing buttons lately.  Some typical comments from you: "I want to just do what I want to do.  Mom (in an exasperated tone).  Watch what you say to me!  (She hears that one from us a lot lately.)  No (to just about anything)."  Needless to say, outings have been interesting.  We're probably good birth control for anyone under 24 right now.  Here's how today went...

Stella slept past 7 AM, which meant mom got to sleep past 7 AM even though Emma was up shortly after 6.  Dad left for work early today so he was gone.  We got sod in last week at the house so I ran outside to get some water on it before it hit 88+ degrees today.  We woke up Stella and sat down for some breakfast.  Emma, you just wanted cherries and a fruit cup and then cereal after.  I said you had to eat the cereal first then you could have the fruits.  You sat on the floor, yelled no, and cried.  (This is typical lately.)  I said if you weren't going to listen to me then we weren't going anywhere today.  You finally caved and started eating the cereal while I pitted the cherries for you and Stella.  (You ate half the cherries I pitted for the record after eating your cereal.)  While you guys ate, I got some food together to take for Stella for lunch.  I was still going in and out moving sprinklers every 20 minutes or so.  Dixie crapped on the stairs again.  I was trying to get you guys and myself dressed.  We had to leave by 9 in order to stop at the bank and gas station and get to MSU a bit early.

We managed to leave by 9 by some miracle.  We were putting on shoes.  I told you to put on the purple sandals.  You wanted to wear your pink Dora sandals Nana got you.  I said you should wear your purple.  You said, "NO!"  I figured this wasn't a fight I needed to have.  (Time #1 you should have listened to me today.)  We made our two stops no problem.  Got to MSU.  The parking lot into the children's gardens is blocked off by some construction.  Signs showed to park in the lot before it.  They were metered spaces.  I was going to risk it.  We all got out, got the stroller set up, sunscreen on, began to walk towards the gardens, and saw another sign directing parking for the children's gardens into the normal lot.  I figured it would be better to be in there because it was closer to the gardens and I knew they didn't ticket in there at the meters.  So, we piled all back into the car and moved spots.  I strapped Stella in her car seat so she couldn't get out.  I just had Emma sit in her seat since we weren't getting back on the road.  (This later backfires.)

We get there about 15 minutes before story time.  We wandered the garden a bit.  Emma, you remember going the time we went with Julie Lawatsch and her family.  We then went over to sit under the pergola to hear the story.  Both of you sat through the story great.  Emma, you then made an ant from the story out of some pipe cleaners and spoons and googly eyes.  We went to wander around the garden again.  All of a sudden, you yelled, "I have to go potty!" and took off running.  Not sure where you thought you were going.  I had asked before we left the house if you needed to go.  You said no.  I said, "Why don't you try?"  You said, "I don't have to go potty!"  (Time #2 you should have listened to mom today.)  They had a port-a-potty.  I figured since it was at MSU's gardens it might be ok.  It was large.  I left the door open and propped so I could see the stroller.  You walked in, looked in the toilet, saw there was poop and other waste, and said, "I don't have to go!"  We finished walking around the garden and playing.  Then we went to the Dairy Store.

I figured it would be easiest to walk since we were already parked for free.  We made the 10 minute walk no problem.  I told you that before we got ice cream, you were going to use the bathroom there.  You cried and insisted you didn't have to pee.  I said, "I guess you don't get ice cream then.  You have to go before getting the ice cream."  You kept pitching a fit.  I said I was done talking about it.  

We got there.  We went into the bathroom.  You were insistent you didn't have to go all the way up until you were peeing on the toilet.  We cleaned up then went to get ice cream.  I realized just before walking in that I hadn't brought my money with me.  It was back in the car.  I apologized.  We both said it sucked that we'd have to walk back.  I said we'd just drive back over.  You said, "I don't want to drive back over.  I want to walk!"  I said it would be easier to drive because then after we could go right to lunch.  You said, "Fine, but I don't want to be strapped in."  I said you had to be because we'd be on roads.  Meltdown over that.

We got across a couple streets and were by the plant biology building when you said you had something in your shoe.  I said to sit down, take it off and shake it out.  You didn't want to because the ground was "dirty."  (It was the sidewalk.)  You still did and it seemed to be better.  Then we walked about another 50 feet, were in the parking lot of the plant biology building and you had another meltdown of nuclear proportions.  Jumping, screaming, crying, face crinkled up, people walking by thinking who knows what.  When you finally stopped and I could look at your foot, you had developed a blister from the shoes.  (Gee!  Who would have thought rubber shoes on a hot day where your legs and feet would be sweating would be a bad idea?  Oh, wait...)  So, I pulled Stella out of the stroller to carry her, and you got in to ride.  I told you if you couldn't walk then we couldn't do the Dairy Store or lunch because you had to walk from the car to each.  Then you thought you could manage.  

Got to the car, made it to the Dairy Store, and had our ice cream.  We were about to leave when I thought I'd try something.  I asked the guys working the place if they happened to have any bandaids.  They sure did!  They were our rescuers today!  You still wouldn't put your foot back in the shoe; you were walking on your tip toe with your heel out (the blister is on your inside ankle).  You did stop throwing a fit enough to make the trip back to the car.

After that it got less eventful: lunch at Potbelly, you walked from the car to the restaurant just fine (although you had to fix your shoe at least 24 times!), ate half your sandwich, your Sun Chips, and then we went home.  

Stella, through this whole trip you were a peach!  I helped you walk through the maze.  You ate your fruit and green beans at the restaurant.  If only you'd start walking on your own, you could have much more fun.  I can tell you're tired of the stroller as you twist and turn and reach to get out of it any chance we stop.  


















No comments: